At the Y, we see lifeguarding as a valuable life-saving skill and the beginnings of a potential career. We offer beginning lifeguarding courses and make sure we offer certified instructors the most up-to-date information and certifications.
Lifeguard Training (Ages 15+)
The American Red Cross Lifeguarding course provides entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses,
until Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personnel take over.
Candidate must be able to pass a swim test consisting of:
- 300 yards (12 lengths) of continuous front crawl or breaststroke, with rhythmic breathing.(Not timed)
- Swimming 20 yards from starting point and retrieve a 10-pound brick from the bottom of the deep end, then surfacing and swimming back to the starting point holding the brick with both hands. (Timed event = 1:40)
- Tread water for 2 minutes no hands.
Please fill out the form at the bottom of the page to request a swim test.
$175 Members | $185 Program Participants
2020 DatesJune 5-7
(Must complete blended learning course prior to class start date)Register HERE
Lifeguarding Review Courses (Age 15+)
Individuals with a soon-to-be or recently expired Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR-AED certificate may participate in a review course. Each participant will have the opportunity to view video segments, practice and perform skills for evaluation and complete
the final written exams for each course. A student study guide will be available at time of registration. Fees are due at time of registration. Please bring your CPR pocket mask, swim suit & towel to each session. For more information, contact
$75 Y members | $85 participants
(Must show proof of certification)
June 9-10 (4-8pm)
(Must complete blended learning course prior to class start date)
Blended Learning Online Review Course
To help with busy schedules, we are offering a blended learning review course where a portion of the review class may be taken online on your time. There will be a review of skills and final skill scenarios at the Y. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor Course (Age: 17+)
This course trains instructor candidates to teach basic-level Lifeguarding, Waterfront Lifeguarding, Waterpark Lifeguarding and Shallow Water Attendant (all including first aid), Lifeguard Management, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, Administering
Emergency Oxygen, Blood borne Pathogens Training: Preventing Disease Transmission and Basic Water Rescue courses. Instructor candidates also will become familiar with Water Safety presentations.
- Be 17 years of age on or before the final scheduled session of the instructor course.
- Be currently certified in Red Cross Lifeguarding Program and CPR for the Professional Rescuer or equivalent.
- Successfully complete the online Orientation to the Red Cross.
- Successfully complete the online Orientation to the Lifeguarding course.
- Successfully complete the online Lifeguarding Instructor Pre-course Exam (80 percent or better)
- Successfully complete the Pre-course Session.
- Obtain the Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual and Lifeguarding Manual after you have successfully completed the Pre-course Session. Either the printed form or new downloadable version. If you choose the downloadable versions you will need a laptop
computer or other appropriate device for reference in all classroom sessions