While enrolled in the Kokomo Family YMCA’s Adapted Aquatics program, students learn American Red Cross Aquatics Level I, II and III swim skills. However, we believe a child with disabilities or special needs is a child first. We focus on abilities and potential rather than limitations. Other goals and benefits of the Adapted Aquatics program include:
- Providing a sense of freedom to children who require physical assistance through water therapy, while encouraging them to push past physical limitations.
- Building strength, increasing cardiovascular endurance and improving motor planning skills.
- Allowing children to move their bodies in ways that may be difficult for them on land.
- Helping children who have sensory impairments learn how to exert more control over their body’s movements.
- Providing opportunities for continued social interaction with family, friends and other children.
Each child receives individualized, progressive lessons by qualified, experienced instructors who make learning achievable, sensory integrative and fun. These private lessons are held at the Y’s swimming pools. For more information, contact Alyssa!